Kilimanjaro: The Trekking Guide to Africa’s Highest Mountain
About the Kilimanjaro Guide Book
The Climb Mount Kilimanjaro trekking guide is published by Trailblazer Guide Books. Written by me, Henry Stedman, it provides unbiased and comprehensive advice on climbing Kilimanjaro. Whatever your question about your trek, you’ll find the answers here.
With the first edition published in 2002, the Kilimanjaro Guidebook quickly became established as the go-to trekking guide for those wishing to reach the summit of Africa’s highest mountain.
While you can find a lot of information on this site, there’s even more information included in the book. Information such as reviews of all the trekking companies. There are also complete guides to the towns and cities that will act as the base for your trek.
The fifth edition of the ‘Kili Bible’ is now available. Use the links below to buy the Kilimanjaro Guidebook, or scroll down to see some of the reviews and find out more about what’s included in the latest edition. Note that as an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. However, it does not cost you any more to purchase through us.
For this fifth edition we have improved and updated the Kilimanjaro Guidebook in a number of ways.
As a result, this guide book:
- Is the only Kilimanjaro guide with full descriptions of the trekking routes by somebody who has climbed all of them.
- The only one to include town and city guides to Arusha, Moshi and Marangu, the places that will be your base before and after your climb.
- The only Kili guidebook with a review of the trekking agencies. These include the opeartors in Tanzania (Arusha, Moshi and Marangu) as well as the tour operators in the UK/US/Canada/Europe/Australia/New Zealand/South Africa. As it is the tour companies that, more than anything else, will make or break your trip, this is a vital part of the book. As such, it should be required reading for anybody before booking a climb. We do not accept sponsorship and our reviews are completely unbiased and based on our dealings with the companies. We also welcome readers’ letters and recommendations and include these in our opinions.
- The only book with up-to-date and accurate maps and altitude readings.
- The only guide with GPS waypoints for all of the major routes.
- A comprehensive run-down of Kilimanjaro’s nature including full-colour flora guide.
The guide book also provides:
- A thorough health and fitness section. This will help you stay healthy in East Africa, increase your chances of making it to the top and ensure you make it back down again;
- Advice on how to book your trek and what to look out for in the agency’s contract.
- Comprehensive pre-departure information including advice on what to take, and what to leave behind!
- Details on flights to East Africa.
- City guides to Nairobi and Dar es Salaam, the two biggest cities in East africa that you may well fly into,. What’s more, we also provide an introduction to Kilimanjaro International Airport.
- A thorough practical information section (including visas, currency, budgeting, transport, food etc) on travelling around Tanzania and Kenya.
- We work closely with the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project (KPAP) to highlight the plight of porters and how trekkers can help to alleviate their suffering.
- The most comprehensive sections on the history of Kilimanjaro and Tanzania.
- A look at the culture of the local Chagga people who inhabit Kilimanjaro’s lower slopes.
- Photos and illustrations (from both contemporary and historical sources, including some wonderful pen-and-ink sketches by the first Europeans to see the mountain, way back in the nineteenth century).
- Thirty maps covering every stage of climbing and descending from the mountain.
- Furthermore, there’s a full description of the Mount Meru trek.
- And if that’s not enough, this book is still the most up-to-date available.
Everything, indeed, to help you get from the safety of your favourite armchair at home all the way to the very summit of Africa’s highest mountain. And no other guidebook can provide anything like that kind of comprehensive coverage.
Read Some Reviews
But don’t just take our word for it. Check out our reviews in the press and on amazon.com or amazon.co.uk (all of which we promise you are genuine). We work hard to make this book the best Kilimanjaro Guide Book there is… and we’re proud that other people seem to appreciate what we’ve done!